At the beginning of the 2017-18 school year, I realized that the seniors in front of me had been doing AoWs for two consecutive years. In an innovative effort, I created Leader of the Week (LoW) to give them another way to look at current events.
LoW’s focus on actions, events, speeches, and movements of “leaders” and invites students to analyze, discuss, and reflect on whether or not leadership was shown.
The Leader of the Week unit is based on The Article of the Week unit that was developed by Kelly Gallagher. Gallagher’s purpose for assigning these non-fiction texts is to provide his students with information to enhance their prior knowledge and background in order for them to be stronger readers, writers, and thinkers.
I, too, recognize that my students need more context with certain topics, books, issues, and articles, beyond the study of AoWs, so I have assigned Leader of the Week assignments (LoWs) since 2017.
The 2018-19 school year brought me to a new district where students were occasionally studying AoWs in their freshmen and sophomore English classes. The Leader of the Week article will continue as it builds on their prior knowledge of what is going on in today’s world.
Below is a list of LoWs for the 2018-2019 school year with the most recent being on top.
- “What I learned when I conquered the world’s toughest triathlon” TED talk by Minda Dentler at TED Women 2017
- “This is what happens when you reply to spam email” TED talk by James Veitch at TEDGlobal>Geneva
- “Andrew McCabe, ex-FBI Deputy, Describes ‘Remarkable’ Number of Trump-Russia Contacts” by Carrie Johnson for NPR
- “From Columbine to Parkland: how we got the story wrong on mass shootings” by Dave Cullen for the Guardian
- “Transcript: President Trump on ‘Face the Nation’, February 3, 2019” by CBS News
- Research Your Own Leader of the Week for Research Project #2
- Research Your Own Leader of the Week for Research Project #1
- “Obituary: George HW Bush” by BBC
- “GM is closing plants and cutting jobs. Here’s what it means for workers – and for Trump” by Emily Stewart for Vox
- “Twitter Should Kill the Retweet” by Taylor Lorenz for the Atlantic
- “Trump and Pompeo double down on Saudi defense as lawmakers raise questions” by Nicole Gaouette and Jeremy Diamond for CNN
- “Elon Musk forced to step down as chairman of Tesla, remains CEO” by Sean O’Kane for the Verge
- Kanye West performs and speaks out on Saturday Night Live
- “Kanye West goes on a Trump rant from ‘SNL’ stage as show ends” by Frank Pallotta for CNN
- “Kanye West delivers pro-Trump speech on ‘Saturday Night Live’, receives boos from audience” by Katherine Lam for Fox News
- “LeBron James Gloats As Nike Shares Hit Record High After Colin Kaepernick Ad” by Mary Papenfuss for Huffpost
- “Opinion: I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration” by anonymous for the New York Times
- “Aretha Franklin Funeral: Detroit and world pay respect in 8-hour service” by Jim Schaefer for the Detroit Free Press
- “White Sox’s Michael Kopech: Offensive tweets ‘not who I am now'” by ESPN
Note: Articles are subject to the copyright protections specified by the original source.